Thursday, January 13, 2011

Where's the (roast) Beef

Roast beef, a quintessential meal item of down home cooking.  Yet, alas, most of us can only come out with a dried, shriveled thing.  The perfect roast beef has haunted me.  Until just recently.  Here is my success recipe.

Roast Beef:
3-4 lb roast (I use eye of round)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pepper
2 1/2 tsp allspice
2 tsp oregano
3 cloves garlic

Preheat oven to 350.  Put the roast in a baking dish with a lid.  Evenly slice the garlic cloves.  Pierce the roast with a knife on both sides and jam those little slices of garlic in the holes (this will give a mild flavor, but if you really like garlic, jam in some more)  Mix the spices and herbs together and rub all over the roast.  Now I mean the whole thing.  Get the front, the back, and don't forget the sides.  Place the lid on the dish a put it in the 350 degree oven for 3 hours.  The roast will come out fully cooked.  Just let it sit for at least 5 - 10 minutes to before slicing.  If you like a little pink then decrease the cook time.

To make gravy I scrape up all the yummy goodness off of my Corning ware dish that I just cooked the roast in.  I then transfer them to a small pot (burner on medium high heat), and whisk in tapioca flour (or cornstarch) paste.  This is 2 tbsp of flour to 1/4 cup water or milk.  I then keep on whisking and adding milk or a substitute until I get the desired consistency, about 5 minutes.  Now pour over your roast and potatoes and enjoy!

No comments: